Many women confess that they don’t like the smell of their vagina. It can be changed, it is not difficult to do it. The effect will be temporary, but all manipulations can be repeated before each sex. You can also avoid odors by following simple rules.
In fact, a healthy vagina will never smell bad. An unpleasant odor may indicate infections and impaired microflora, in order to solve these problems, you should visit a doctor. Our guidelines will show you how to keep your vagina clean to keep it healthy, as well as how to temporarily get rid of bad odor if you have one.
Find out the causes of genital odor
The main cause of the unpleasant odor is various diseases, ranging from thrush to STDs. Don’t expect it to go away on its own, be sure to consult your doctor. Vaginal discharge is normal. But if this discharge has a strong odor and a strange color (brown, white, green), then there is a high probability that it is an infection.
A specific smell may appear after sex. The fact is that any foreign bacteria upset the balance of the vaginal microflora, so having sex can affect changes in odor. This will not happen with a condom. Failure to comply with hygiene or improper hygiene provokes the accumulation of bacteria, due to this, a bad smell appears. If you love taking a bath, be careful with your temperature. Too hot water can kill the beneficial bacteria that protect the vaginal flora. You should not sit in a hot bath for very long and very often.
How to quickly solve the problem of bad smell
- Perfume. You cannot apply eau de toilette or perfume directly to the vagina or nearby, but you can spray a little on the inner thigh. Or put a drop of fragrant water on the pubis, if there is vegetation on it, the smell will last longer.
- Nutrition. Food affects body odor. Start by reducing the amount of sugar in your diet. Large amounts of sugar can cause thrush, which can cause an unpleasant odor. Eat fermented milk products – yogurt, sour cream, fermented baked milk, kefir. These foods, thanks to the presence of beneficial bacteria, contribute to a healthy microflora.
- Depilation. Pubic hair favors the growth of bacteria, so it is best to get rid of it. You can simply trim to keep it neat.
- Wet wipes. Toilet paper does not always cope with its direct task, so sometimes it is worth using wet wipes. Buy intimate hygiene products or wet toilet paper.
Good hygiene is the key to a good smell
- Water. Bathe or shower regularly. The water washes away bacteria that cause unpleasant odors from the skin.
- Soap. Do not use regular soap on your vagina. It can cause irritation. Also, avoid soaps with strong odors or antibacterial effects – these will upset the natural balance of the vagina. Buy a special intimate hygiene product from a pharmacy.
- Douching. You should not do douching (washing the vagina from the inside). This can cause a serious imbalance in the vaginal flora and lead to the development of infections.
- Wiping. Improper wiping can lead to infection. Make sure to cleanse your body thoroughly and in the right direction after using the toilet (front to back only!). Discharge from the anus should not fall on the genital mucosa.
- Personal hygiene products. When choosing them, be careful not to cause infections. Any product with a strong smell can provoke an infection. This applies to lotions, pads, tampons, etc. Proper intimate cosmetics. Use only quality lubricants. Do not use cream, petroleum jelly or saliva. In such formulations, bacteria multiply, and this can cause an infection.
- Underwear. Wear the right underwear. This is incredibly important for maintaining a healthy vagina. Change your laundry at least every 24 hours. Buy linen from a material that allows your skin to breathe. The best option is cotton.
The natural vaginal odor should not be very intense. A healthy scent is not repulsive; it can even turn a man on. If everything is in order with health, you took a shower on time, then you don’t need to worry. It is impossible to eliminate the smell completely, the above tips can only slightly reduce.